Formed in 1837, Wells County was named for Captain William A. Wells, who was captured and adopted by the Miami Chief, Little Turtle. While he eventually became a scout for General “Mad Anthony” Wayne, Wells was killed by a Potawatomi. Bluffton is the County Seat, founded in 1838, and named for the river bluffs located near the city. It had the distinction of being designated as the “Parlor City of Indiana.” It was considered to be the most beautiful and well kept city in Indiana. Uncommon today, the “Parlor” in homes was the cleanest room in the house and was the room where guests were entertained.