In it’s earliest of times, the county was inhabited by several Native American tribes, including the Miami and Delaware tribes, but settlement by non-indigenous folks began in the early 19th century, becoming established in 1844. It was one of the last Indiana counties to be settled. It was named for John Tipton, a soldier of the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811. The county seat is in Tipton where the Romanesque style courthouse stands. It was completed in 1894. The county had its struggles in its early years, battling swampy conditions in what used to be, dense forests. The land was cleared for farming, but is very flat with no place for waters to recede. Tipton was hit with a Cholera epidemic and most of the residents fled the city. It is largely an agricultural landscape.