Formed in 1822, Morgan County was named for General Daniel Morgan, who defeated the British at the Battle of Cowpens in the Revolutionary War. The County Seat is Martinsville, its courthouse designed in the Italianate style. Built from 1857 to 1859, it is one of the few remaining pre-Civil War courthouses still remaining. At the turn of the century, “Mineral Springs” were discovered in the area, leading to the creation of thirteen resorts aimed at curing all ‘ills’ and were visited by people from all over the world. It was during the Great Depression, (and the trend toward using antibiotics), that caused the decline of the ‘resorts’. One thing remains and that is the High School sports Mascot, The Artesian! Of special note, the Indiana state flag was designed by Mooresville resident, Paul Hadley, who won the honor in a contest where he was awarded $100 for his design in 1917.