Just northeast of Indianapolis lies Madison County which was formed in 1823. It was named for James Madison, co-author of the Federalist Papers and the fourth President of the U.S. Its largest city and County Seat is Anderson, named for Chief William “Adam” Anderson, whose mother was a Delaware Indian and his father was of Swedish descent. His Indiana name was Kikthawenund which means “creaking boughs”. The county has gone through many changes over the years. When the Gas Boom began, new businesses moved into the city to take advantage of it use, then when the residents and businessmen squandered the resource, it ran out, as did many businesses. 17 different types of cars were manufactured in Anderson, however the city suffered again when GM closed it’s doors. It is also the home of Anderson University.